Do you know what to look for when you hire a personal injury attorney? How do you go about finding one? Demas Law Group can help you answer these questions so that you can find the right attorney to represent you in your personal injury case.
How to Find a Personal Injury Attorney: 5 Steps
There are five things you should always do when you are considering hiring a personal injury attorney:
- Shop around. Hiring the first lawyer whose name you happen to hear may not be your best choice. In fact, attorneys who advertise heavily are oftentimes too busy with a huge clientele to pay attention to your case, or too eager to take any case that comes across their desk. Do a bit of browsing on the Internet or ask several friends for recommendations. Some reputable legal directories you can explore online include: Super Lawyers, Avvo and Martindale Hubbell,
- Do a little research. Once you have identified a few possible attorneys, research their reputation and expertise. The Internet has made it easy to find out all sorts of things about the attorneys you are considering. Sites such as Martindale Hubbell and Avvo give client ratings for attorneys and allow clients to post reviews. Google reviews are also worth checking. Furthermore, visit the attorneys’ websites to find out more about their background, expertise, and results. A firm’s website can also give you an idea of the firm’s culture and approach.
- Decide what is important to you. For example, if you prefer a close relationship with your attorney and individual attention to your case, you may wish to hire an attorney from a small law firm as opposed to a large one. If expertise and experience is what you are looking for, make sure the attorney you hire has successfully handled many cases like yours. For example, if you have a defective product case and the attorney you are considering has never handled a products liability case, it would be wise to look elsewhere.
- Interview prospective lawyers. One of the most important things you should do is interview a couple of the attorneys you are considering, and have a discussion about your case and expectations. A good personal injury attorney understands that finding out the facts of your case takes time and that he or she must spend that time with you in order to fully appreciate all the aspects of your case. If you feel rushed or ignored, it is not a good idea to continue with that attorney. Furthermore, you should feel comfortable asking questions, and should get straightforward answers.
- Do not sign a fee agreement unless you are sure. Signing a fee agreement is a legal commitment. Once you sign a fee agreement with an attorney, you are not supposed to speak to another lawyer about your case. Make sure you have found an attorney you are comfortable with before you sign a fee agreement. If you are not sure, ask for some time to think. An attorney who pressures you to sign a contract is probably not a good candidate for your case.
A good personal injury attorney can help you through your recovery process and obtain the best possible compensation for your injuries. Finding the right attorney to represent you is crucial to the outcome of your case.