Some of the findings in this study included:
- Nearly half of all children under the age of five who were killed in crashes were not properly strapped into their car seats at the time.
- Proper installation and use of car seats reduced fatality rates for infants by a factor of 71 percent.
- The same proper installation and use of car seats reduced the toddler fatality rate by 54 percent.
- 46 percent of parents knew that their children between the ages of four and six were still supposed to use car seats.
- 97 percent of parents used car seats for their children until they reached three years of age.
- 42 percent used them for children between the ages of four and six.
These statistics were put together by the researchers and they were published in an article by automotive.com, which provides several different news stories and information regarding automobiles.
Anyone who has children understands the different challenges that come with being a parent, and most assume the best when it comes to other parents. This is especially true with regards to how people think of parents and their management of potentially dangerous situations such as riding in a vehicle. As such, the results of this study have been met with surprise and in some circles shock. The researchers are calling for more awareness regarding how children should be seated in vehicles.
If you have a child that uses a car seat, you should take some time to research the regulations and recommendations regarding that car seat so that you can be sure that you are making the situation as safe as possible. If your child has been injured in a car accident and it was not your fault, you should take immediate action. Contact the California accident lawyers at the Demas Law Group, P.C., today to schedule a free initial consultation.