Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft have transformed the way many people get around. They provide a safe alternative to having a few drinks getting behind the wheel, and carpooling is better for the environment.
Whether you’re headed to work or the bar, ridesharing is an incredibly convenient and affordable way to travel.
Unfortunately, Uber and Lyft vehicles are not immune to traffic accidents and the injuries they cause. Drivers and passengers in personal vehicles and rideshare vehicles could suffer severe injuries in the event of a crash involving a Lyft or Uber.
Below are some common injuries reported by victims who were injured in rideshare accidents:
- Neck Injuries, Back Injuries, and Whiplash – If the vehicle you are riding in is rear-ended or involved in another type of crash that causes your head to move in an abrupt and abnormal way, you could suffer whiplash or other injuries to your neck. Whiplash can be a severe and debilitating injury that can damage muscles and ligaments in your neck, as well as your spinal discs. It can also result in memory loss and chronic pain. The back is also very susceptible to injury from the forces of a car crash.
- TBIs (Traumatic Brain Injuries) – If your head strikes the window, seat, dashboard, or another solid surface in a rideshare accident, you could sustain a traumatic brain injury. A TBI is any injury that results in bruising, bleeding, or tearing of the brain. The severity of these injuries varies greatly. Serious TBIs can lead to mental impairment and other chronic problems that last a lifetime
- Burns – In more some crashes, rideshare passengers are at risk of sustaining severe burns from fires or hot vehicle parts. Burns cause significant pain and discomfort, and at their worst, they can damage deep tissues which may require surgery to repair and could result in scarring, disfigurement, and restricted movement. In addition, inhaling smoke from a fire after a car accident could cause severe lung damage.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – The spinal cord is the critical connection between the brain and the rest of the body. When a rideshare accident causes a spinal cord injury, the victim could be left with paralysis that cannot be cured. Spinal cord injuries differ in severity based in part on where the damage occurs on the spinal cord and whether the cord is completely or partially severed.
- Broken Bones and Joint Damage – The violent impact of a car crash can exert enough force to break bones in virtually any part of the body. Joints such as knees, hips, shoulders, wrists and ankles are also prone to injury in a crash. Damage to ligaments, tendons, muscles, and other soft tissue can cause severe pain and incapacitation.
Contact Demas Law Group in Sacramento Today
If you’ve been hurt in an accident involving an Uber, Lyft, or another rideshare vehicle, you are likely wondering how you’ll be compensated for your injuries and other damages. The rideshare accident attorneys of the Demas Law Group will be here to help you determine if financial responsibility falls on the at-fault driver, on the rideshare company’s insurance coverage, or someone else.
Call us, chat with us live on our site, or fill out a contact form to schedule your free consultation with us today.