The holidays are a magical time that are filled with good food, family, gifts, cooler weather and beautiful lights and decorations. During this time, we are often reminded of the many things we have to be thankful for. In the spirit of the holidays, it is a good time to give back to your local Sacramento community. Helping the less fortunate, especially during the colder holiday season, is a great way to show how much you care for others and for your community.
How Can I Help The Less Fortunate In My Community?
There are many ways you can spread good will and cheer this holiday season. Consider helping the less fortunate in Sacramento by:
- Donating – One of the easiest ways to give back is to donate to a local charity. Rather than spending a large amount of money on holiday gifts that are unnecessary or even unappreciated, make a donation to a local charity or organization in Sacramento like St. John’s Shelter for Women and Children and the Mustard Seed School
- Volunteering– Giving back to the local community is a great feeling. Volunteering where people really need you, like at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter, can help you create some of the best holiday memories
- Reflecting and Giving Thanks – The holidays are a time to reflect and give thanks. Slow down this holiday season and think about the past and upcoming year. Set New Year goals, such as volunteering beyond the holidays, that can benefit you as well as the city and people of Sacramento
These are only a few suggestions of things you can do this holiday season to give back. The holiday season is a time of good will and happiness. Be sure to not let the stresses of the season get to you. Rather, send smiles and good wishes to all and try to find a way to give back.
How Can I Help Keep My Community Safe During the Holidays?
Along with helping others, there are other small things you can do to keep your community safe during the holiday season:
- Be Careful – Be sure to use lights and other electrical appliances carefully. Avoid placing cloth or paper near hot electric bulbs, especially on Christmas trees or other decorations. Ice on sidewalks, roads and driveways can also pose a danger, so drive cautiously
- Do Not Drink and Drive – Unfortunately, alcohol related accidents increase dramatically during the holiday season. Whether it is a holiday or not, it is important to always designate a sober driver or car service if you decide to drink
By acting responsibly and making good choices, you can stay safe this holiday season.
The holiday season is the perfect time to give back to the Sacramento community. Whether you decide to donate money or your time, your valuable contribution will certainly be appreciated. After all, the holidays is a time for giving, not just receiving.