A pit bull attack left an elderly woman and her son in critical condition in Modesto, according to recent reports. It is unclear at this point who owns the dogs, but deputies shot the offending animals and are investigating to find more information on the owners.
A Horrifying Attack
Emergency officials received several simultaneous 911 calls about a dog mauling on Glenn Avenue. When deputies arrived, they found three dogs attacking a man in his own backyard with a fourth circling the victim. When deputies opened fire, killing two of the pit bulls, the other two ran into a neighboring yard. The deputies were then able to secure the yard and enter the house where they found an elderly woman who had also been mauled by the animals. The two victims, mother and son, were rushed to a nearby hospital where they were treated for multiple traumatic dog bites.
Back at the home, deputies were called in to help set up a containment perimeter around the yard where the two remaining dogs were located. Both dogs were said to be very aggressive and vicious and allegedly charged the deputies. These dogs were also shot and killed.
Currently, deputies are asking anyone with information to come forward regarding the dogs, their owners or the attack. One neighbor claims that the dogs have attacked other dogs in the past, although there does not seem to be any record of them attacking humans prior to this incident.
Dog Bite Statistics
Dog bites account for about 4.5 million accidents each year, about 20 percent of which require medical attention, according to the Centers for Disease Control. About half of all dog bite victims are children.
Most dog bites are relatively minor. In 27,000 cases per year, however, the victim requires reconstructive surgery to repair the damage. Additionally, there are deaths every year from dog maulings, and pit bulls are currently responsible for half of all fatal attacks, a disproportionate number given the prevalence of the breed.
How Can I Prevent Dog Bite Accidents?
If you own a dog or are around dogs at any time, it is very important for you to take safety precautions to prevent bites if at all possible. Some tips for staying safe around dogs include:
- Choose a breed that is recommended for your particular situation, particularly if you have children. Some dogs have higher bite rates than other breeds.
- Choose a reputable dog trainer and participate in training sessions to help you gain control of the dog. Involve your children in training as well.
- Have your dog spayed or neutered.
- Do not play aggressively with the dog.
- Never leave infants or children alone with a dog, no matter how long you have had it.
- Teach children to respect dogs and never to rush up to one or try to pet an unfamiliar dog. Children should be taught not to run from a dog and to report aggressive dog behavior immediately to adults.
What If I Am Bitten By A Dog?
If you suffer a dog bite, you may be entitled to payment of your medical bills and other expenses. Contact a personal injury attorney immediately to learn if you may have grounds for a lawsuit against the dog’s owner or another party involved in your dog bite accident.