Public Transit Accidents
Buses involved in collisions anually
School buses involved in fatal crashes from 1995 - 2005
make up the vast majority of public transportation accidents.
have increased in recent years due to increased demand for transit.
What to Do After a Public Transit Accident
- Receive immediate medical treatment for all injuries.
- Document your injuries.
- Find legal representation.
- Work with lawyer to retrieve copies of the transit operator’s accident report and the police report of the accident.
- Find out if there are copies of video footage from the area and from the vehicle.
- Work with lawyer to get copies of transit operators’ qualification and fitness-for-service tests.
Who Is Liable for Public Transit Accidents?
- Transit businesses or entities responsible for transporting many people are held to a common carrier standard in which they must exercise a higher level of responsibility and caution.
- A driver does not have to be under the influence or demonstrate other criminal behavior in order to be found negligent or irresponsible
- Suing a government transit agency may have special legal requirements under any applicable tort claims act.